Brown with blue and green shades
Towing and Salvage
|Friends & Family|
Grammy Mater (Gramma but only mentioned in Hoodwinked)
Lightning McQueen (best friend)
- Mater: "My name's Mater!"
Lightning McQueen: "Mater?"
Mater: "Yeah, like "tuh-mater", but without the tuh!"
- —Mater introduces himself to Lightning McQueen
Mater's a good ol' boy with a big kind heart (who he inherited from both his mom and dad) and the only tow truck in Radiator Springs. He runs Tow Mater Towing & Salvage and manages the local impound lot. Though a little rusty, he has the quickest towrope in Carburetor County and is always the first to lend a helping hand. Mater sees the bright side of any situation (meaning, he always has that sunny disposition). He's the heart and soul of Radiator Springs (meaning the most important guy there and he's the BIG deal), and he doesn't have a mean bolt in his chassis.
In Cars, Mater is one of the first to befriend and support Lightning throughout his adventure in Radiator Springs. During the film, Mater shows Lightning how to do Tractor Tippin' and how to drive backwards without crashing by using rear-view mirrors, which Lightning uses to counter Chick Hicks' dirty racing in the final 2006 Piston Cup race. In the end, Lightning gives Mater an opportunity to fly in a Dinoco helicopter like he always wanted, saying to Sally that Mater is his new best friend.
Cars: The Video Game
In Cars: The Video Game, he first appears as the announcer in the cut-scene for Radiator Springs Grand Prix. Then he was in the cut-scene for Tractor Tipping, where Lightning wakes him up and asks him to go Tractor Tippin', but Mater asks why he would want to go, because he thought Lightning was scared of Frank. But they went, anyway. In the actual game, you play as him.
Later in Chapter 3, Lightning will come to Mater's Junkyard to ask Mater if he can do the backwards driving lesson. Mater says he could do it now. Mater teaches Lightning some rules, like turn your rear tires like they were your front ones. Also, turn right to go left. To make sure he gets it, Mater sets up a game where Lightning must follow him around a course and drive backwards when he does. After the practice, Mater says he did good, and even tries to spell his last name backwards by calling him "Mr. Gintil." However, that spells "Litnig," not "Lightning," when it's spelled forward.
Later, Mater was in front of the Rustbucket Stadium banging himself into a wall to get ready for his big race. Lightning drives up, wondering what was happening. Mater tells Lightning what's happening. Then, Tommy Joe drives up and bangs into Lightning, which was his way of saying, "Hi." Mater asks Lightning to help them for the race, but Lightning decides to sit this one out. After the race Mater earns a boost tank as a prize, and he gives it to Lightning.
Cars: Radiator Springs Adventures
Mater and the Ghostlight
In Mater and the Ghostlight, Mater is now the main character of his own short.
One night, Mater plays a series of scary yet harmless pranks on his friends until a blue light begins to haunt him. Mater's final prank is his most successful: Lightning sees a tow hook hanging from behind a stack of cans and, assuming that Mater is hiding behind it, approaches to foil the prank. Mater then jumps off of the roof of Flo's café, screaming behind Lightning, who then is startled and knocks over the pile of cans, revealing that the hook was actually from the sign of Mater's place of business, thus a decoy. Everyone starts to laugh at Lightning for falling for such a trick, and Mater says that Lightning looks like he's seen "the Ghostlight".
Sheriff tells Mater not to mock the Ghostlight, a character of urban legend amongst the cars. The Ghostlight is a glowing orb of blue, translucent light that haunts Radiator Springs, and hates nothing more than the sound of clanking metal -- a sound frequently made by Mater's rickety shell. Sheriff continues to tell the story of a young couple lost in the area, whose only remains were "two out-of-state license plates". He then concludes with an overly cheerful "Well, g'night!". The population of Radiator Springs then leaves within seconds, leaving a very nervous Mater all by himself in the dark.
As he reaches his garage, he is first frightened but then pleads for mercy until he realizes it's just a "lightning bug" (a tiny flying Volkswagen Beetle with bright headlights). As he relaxes, a bright blue glow suddenly appears behind Mater and he goes into a blind panic, driving around in a frenzy, first going along the main road, then going through the tractor field (past Frank), then around Willy's Butte, and doing a lock-strafe move after that, until he is exhausted. However, the Ghostlight was revealed to be a glowing blue lantern to Mater's towing cable hung up by Lightning and Guido.
The short ends with Mater finally collapsing on the road with the rest of the folks surrounding him, revealing the joke to him as retribution for the pranks he did to them. The credits roll and after them, there is a closing shot where the frightened Mater finds he has a huge construction vehicle behind him, snarling and carrying the license plate "Banshee." However, Mater doesn't realize who it is and warns it of the Screamin' Banshee before driving off, bidding the Banshee good night.
Cars: Mater-National Championship
In Cars: Mater-National Championship, Mater returns as a playable character during Arcade mode. His stats are 2 for boost, 3 for acceleration, 4 for handling, and 4 for stability.
In story mode, Mater is first seen outside of Luigi's Casa Della Tires during the cut-scene for Luigi and Guido's Team Relay 1, where he is talking to Luigi, Guido, Lightning, and Giovanni. He then agrees to be part of the relay race, being on a team with Lightning and Doc. He is later seen wishing that he could be a monster truck like Lightning, and asks Lightning to go look for parts to make him a monster. After becoming a monster truck, Mater breaks through the wall of Luigi's shop, scaring Luigi and Guido. Mater also competes in all of the Rustbucket races, in all of which he is playable. In Tailfin Pass, Mater is seen talking to Lightning, trying to translate what Koji is saying, but can't figure it out.
Cars Toons: Mater's Tall Tales
In Cars Toons: Mater's Tall Tales, Mater is now the protagonist in his own TV series. Each tale begins with Mater telling a story of something he has done in the past (such as him once being a firefighter, a drift racer, a rockstar, an astronaut, etc.).
In the story, Mater finds himself in an inescapable predicament.
When Lightning questions Mater over whether the events in the story actually occurred, Mater responds, "Don't you remember? You was there, too!", and continues the story including Lightning's sudden participation.
The cartoons end with Mater leaving the scene, often followed by characters or references to the story that was being told, putting up a possibility that the story might be real.
In Cars: Race-O-Rama, Mater once again appears as a playable character. He also competes in various events in story mode.
The World of Cars Online
In The World of Cars Online, Mater is one of the townspeople that will give you missions, such as collecting a certain amount of junk.
Mater returns as the protagonist in Cars 2.
In the now popular tourist destination of Radiator Springs, the rusty old tow truck Mater has a number of roles, including proprietor of Tow Mater Towing and Salvage, grand storyteller and the heart and soul of the town. But Mater’s favorite title is best friend to Lightning McQueen. Mater values each and every dent he’s earned on his escapades with Lightning over the years, and anxiously awaits further fun with his friend when Lightning returns with his latest Piston Cup.
Cheerful, honest and loyal to a fault, Mater rushes to his best friend’s defense, which ultimately lands the off-duty Lightning in an international racing exhibition: the World Grand Prix. When Lightning invites Mater to come along as a member of his pit crew, Mater leaves Carburetor County for the first time ever.
Not long after their arrival in Tokyo, Mater learns that the world outside of Radiator Springs is decidedly different and its newfangled ways may take some getting used to. But when he’s mistaken for an American secret agent, he falls into an intriguing adventure of his own. Caught between supporting his best friend on a globe-trotting racing competition and his new role in international espionage, Mater ends up in an explosive chase through the streets of Tokyo and Europe alongside a team of British spies and international bad guys.
This happens due to an "oil leak incident" (actually Miles Axlerod's doing). During his mission as a spy, Mater is first blamed by McQueen for "accidentally" messing up the racecar's moves and causing him to lose the first race, Mater is immediately found by Finn McMissile and Holley Shiftwell at Tokyo airport where they then make a dash toward the spy jet Siddeley while escaping some Lemons who were pursuing them. Mater is then flown to Paris where Finn and Holley tell him about the mysterious Lemon "big boss" who was behind the Lemons' evil plot of the exploding racecars, and that he has to infiltrate the next Lemon meeting, which will be held in Porto Corsa, Italy, which is also where the second race will take place. While taking Stephenson to Italy, Finn and Holley install a holographic cloaking device onto Mater's roof light and has him disguise himself as a Lemon tow truck named Ivan, and upon arrival, Mater, now disguised is sent into the casino where the Lemon meeting is held. Unfortunately, during the meeting Mater accidentally breaks his hologram disguise and allowing the Lemons to identify him, but the tow truck escapes with his parachute and rockets and flies off to warn McQueen about the Lemons' evil plot only to be captured and sent to London (the final race's setting) where he, along with Finn and Holley are all tied to the gears of Big Bentley to be crushed to death. Mater then tells Grem and Acer, two of the Lemons inside the clock tower to let him go after hearing that they have installed a bomb in Lightning McQueen's pit that will kill McQueen upon his arrival (due to their EMP cannon being disabled as a result of Sarge switching the Allinol with Fillmore's fuel) so that he can warn McQueen about the bomb, but upon arriving at McQueen's pit he then realized that the Lemons tricked him, and that the bomb in question was instead inside Mater! Mater then tows McQueen away from the racetrack to save his life, and after a fight between Finn, Holley, the Radiator Springs townsfolk and the Lemons, Mater realizes that the bomb is down to only a few minutes and is actually voice activated and can only be deactivated by the Lemon Big Boss himself. Mater then returns to the finish line where he notices Miles Axlerod in the grandstand in front of Buckingham Palace and tells everyone that Axlerod is the head Lemon and was behind the evil plot of the exploding cars in the first place, as well as leaking the oil puddle back in Tokyo. With his bomb only down to the last ten seconds, Axlerod, realizing that his villainy has been exposed, is immediately forced to deactivate the bomb and is then arrested on the spot. Just right as the police is about to take Axlerod away, Mater opens the Lemon's hood revealing the exact same engine as seen in Holley's photos.
Just before the end of the film, The Queen knights Mater for his bravery and for outsmarting the villain and catching him. Upon returning to the US, Mater returns all of his gadgets to Finn and Holley, but decides to keep his rockets.
Cars 2: The Video Game
In Cars 2: The Video Game, Mater is one of the playable characters in the game, being unlocked by default. His alternate costumes include Materhosen, Tokyo Mater, Mater the Greater, Mater Ivan, and Mater Kabuki.
Kinect Rush: A Disney/Pixar Adventure
In Kinect Rush: A Disney/Pixar Adventure, Mater appears in the first Cars level, played by one of the kids in the park. He tells the player that Lightning McQueen is looking for a new car in his racing team, which is the player. But first, the player has got to try out, so he/she has to pass the Tow Mater Fancy Drivin' Challenge. Mater says that he designed the course specially so that only the best drivers in the whole world can finish it. McQueen says that he's got great confidence, and that if Mater says you're good enough, that's good enough for him, before Mater says that it's what the Tow Mater Fancy Drivin' Challenge says, not himself. The player follows Mater through the course before in the ending cutscene, Mater says to the player that he/she is awesome, before McQueen says that Mater's right and that was some of the best driving he's ever seen, before saying to the player that they're going to be a great addition to his team. Holley Shiftwell then appears saying that was a impressive display. Mater then introduces the player to Holley, explaining that she's his girlfriend. Holley then says that their friend, the player, would make an excellent racer, but an even better spy, and that they have a mission that is perfect for the player's speed and talents, before saying that is if McQueen doesn't mind waiting, before Mater says that McQueen can wait, before he asks McQueen if he will. Mater is heard in the other levels when the player unlocks a new goal that has the player spinning near a semicircle of coins to collect all of them, which he reminds the player to get ready to spin.
In Disney Infinity, Mater is one of the four playable characters from the Cars franchise, alongside Lightning, Holley and Francesco. He shares the same abilities as the other cars, including drifting, boosting, and towing.
Mater's unique toy box adventure is Mater's Tow 'n' Go. He also appears as a toy box townsperson that can be unlocked by opening one of his three chests in the Cars Play Set.
Mater plays a big role in Cars Land. He owns his own ride called Mater's Junkyard Jamboree. In that ride, Mater will be singing songs to keep the tractors dancing. When the tractors are dancing, they will pull their carts, which have riders in them.
Mater also appears in Radiator Springs Racers. First, Sheriff will call Mater to take you to the race. Mater does that, but takes you tractor tipping. After you go tractor tipping, You will wake up Frank, who will chase you and Mater away. Then that's when you arrive in Radiator Springs.
After the race, Mater will say that you did a good job. He might say that "you beat McQueen!" McQueen replies to Mater by saying that he wasn't racing. However, Mater says that you can't win a race if you don't race in it. Some other phrases are used.
Mater also is seen driving around Radiator Springs, where you can meet him and talk to him.
Mater is extremely friendly, loving, selfless, loyal, silly, and a bit dim-witted. However, he can be very smart at times and clumsy/accident prone. He also has a vast knowledge of all car parts considering his job of towing and salvaging, which proves to be useful in exposing Miles Axlerod as the one behind the conspiracy to sabotage the World Grand Prix. Although he may seem silly and dim-witted, he has a huge, vast savant-like knowledge of all things towing and repair along with engines, car parts and car types and is a fiercely loyal and loving great friend to all.
Mater was born with a coat of baby blue mixed with light green all over his body, but it can be concluded that he never got a re-paint. Now, Mater is covered in rust and the only visible paint is on his sides and on his rear. He also has a bumper with a yellow and black "caution" logo.
Mater's make model/breed is a Haunted Hook/Haulital Hook'em (species, Baby Blue the world's smallest Haunted Hook breed), and a mix of a 1951 International Harvester L-170 "Boom Truck", One Ton Wrecker combined with some pieces of a Chevrolet 3800 and an old 1957 Dodge Truck.
He has a V-8 engine with a two-barrel carburetor. He can go zero to sixty in ten seconds, with a top speed of 90 miles per hour, with 200 horsepower.
In most of his appearances, his license plate is "A113", a recurring joke in Pixar films. In Rescue Squad Mater, his license plate is "RSQ M8R". In Mater the Greater, his license plate is "M8R GR8R". When he is disguised as Ivan, his license plate is "PN 217-63".
Mater owns the local towing and salvage company in Radiator Springs. He also manages the municipal impound and the prisoners in it.
- Mater and the Ghostlight
- Rescue Squad Mater
- Mater the Greater
- El Materdor
- Tokyo Mater
- Unidentified Flying Mater
- Heavy Metal Mater
- Monster Truck Mater
- Moon Mater
- Mater Private Eye
- Air Mater
- Time Travel Mater
- The Radiator Springs 500 1/2
- Cars: The Video Game
- Cars: Radiator Springs Adventures
- Cars: Mater-National Championship
- Cars: Race-O-Rama
- The World of Cars Online
- Cars Toons: Mater's Tall Tales
- Cars 2: The Video Game
- Kinect Rush: A Disney/Pixar Adventure
- Disney Infinity
- A Torero Trick
- The Case of the Missing Muffler
- Francesco's New Look!
- Mystery in the Desert
- A New Champion
- The Case of the Tire King
- The Lightning McQueen Tour
- Family Secret
- Emerging from the Ground
- 1:55 Scale Diecast (regular, Rollin' Bowlin', Brand New, Blowing Bubbles, One Eye, with Oil Can, with Hood, with Glow in the Dark Lamp, Race Team, Funny Car, with Spy Screen, You the Bomb, Chase Francesco Fan, Ivan, Kabuki, Materhosen, Dr. Mater, Dr. Mater with Mask Up, Mater the Aviator, Cannonball, High Dive, Drift Party, Tokyo with Oil Stains, Music Video, Beanie Hat, Tormentor, Rasta, Autonaut, Aviator, Hawk, Hawk with Metallic Finish, Time Travel, with Lights and Sounds, Spy with Lights and Sounds, Quick Changers with Pop-Out Tongue, Quick Changers with Wasabi)
- Micro Drifters
- Mini Adventures
- Action Agents
- MEGA BLOKS
- LEGO Duplo
- Disney Store Diecast Line (regular, with Headset, Materhosen, Drag Star, Dracula, Taco Truck, Kabuki, Stealth, Rescue, Lightning, Ice Cream Truck, Tokyo)
- Shake 'N' Go (regular, Brand New, Cars 2, Ivan Mater, Hot Rod Mater, Rescue Squad Mater, El Materdor)
- Tomica (regular, Young, Cars 2, with Guns, Ivan Mater, Rescue Squad Mater, Mater the Greater, El Materdor, Tokyo Mater, Mater Hawk, Aviator Mater)
- Geotrax (regular, Blue)
- Wood (regular, Brand New, Cars 2, Christmas)
- Rip Stick Racers
- Pez (regular, Cars 2)
- Mater was born on January 12, 1957, as seen on his Cars 2 passport. This is a reference to John Lasseter, whose birthday is the same as Mater's.
- One thing to note throughout the series is that Mater's characteristics are very similar to that of a canine.
- John Lasseter wanted to make a movie in which the cars are in fact humans. So, Mater along with all the other cars are carified humans.
- If you listen to the way Mater talks real closely, you can see that he talks with a lisp to his voice (as he talks, the air kind of whistles through the gap between his buck teeth) and he doesn't say 'this' he usually says, "dis, dat" and among others along with z at the end of a word like "carz" instead of saying cars.
- It is noted by John Lasseter that Mater is way too innocent, pure and kind so he can never hurt or harm any soul. He can't even kill a bumblebee without mourning for its life.
- Larry The Cable Guy mentioned that Mater isn't self-conscious about how others view him.
- He loves fart jokes, which is why he loves Tractor Tippin'.
- His most favorite ice cream is pistachio ice cream.
- Mater is one of those sensitive guy types. He tends to act and behave more on the feminine side than a macho strong man. He's gentle. McQueen is more of a strong macho man type.
- Also, it is noted in the Cars books like Mater's Birthday Surprise and in Mater and the Easter Buggy that his favorite colors are mostly, blue, green, orange, yellow and most defiantly pink and purple (more of the lighter softer colors). He also likes the color red.
- It is said that Mater is a big kid or an over-grown child.
- His favorite water park is Kersploosh Mountain (as seen on his blue balloon at the beginning of Cars 2)
- As told by John Lasseter in a Mater and the ghostlight cometary on Blu-ray (On the Pixar Shorts collection movie), the inspiration for Tow Mater came from Don Knotts.
- In the credits, Tow Mater's Passport shows that he was born on 12 Jan 1957 in Radiator Springs. The date is director John Lasseter's actual birth date.
- During the last section of the World Grand Prix, Mater is described as the World's greatest backwards driver.
- In the credits it is shown that he is knighted on Tuesday, July 15, 2011. However, 15 July in 2011 was not on Tuesday in real life, it was Friday.
- Head of story and co-director Joe Ranft got the inspiration of Mater after seeing an old abandoned rusty tow truck during a research trip to Route 66. The character was named after and partly based on Douglas "Mater" Keever, a racing fan the Pixar team met during their research trips, and also draws inspiration from several other people the team encountered.
- His name may have been inspired by voice actor Douglas Keever's nickname.
- In Spanish and Portuguese, he is called "Mate".
- In French, he is called "Martin".
- In Polish, Mater is called "Złomek" (z-wom-eh-k) what the little scrap is "Marking".
- In German, he is called "Hook".
- In Dutch, he is called "Takel".
- In Italian, he is called "Cricchetto".
- In Swedish, he is called "Bärgarn".
- In Japanese, he is called "メーター" (me-ta-).
- In Mandarin (Taiwan), he is called "拖線".
- In Mandarin (China), he is called "板牙".
- In Cantonese, he is called "哨牙嘜".
- In Danish, he is called "Bumle".
- One of his catchphrases is "Git-R-Done!", his actor, Larry the Cable Guy's signature phrase.
- "Dad gum!"
"I'm happier than a tornado in a trailer park!"
"Fuh - un!"
"That's funny right there!"
- —Some of Mater's catchphrases.
"Maybe I shoulda, uh.. hooked him up to Bessie then uh... then took the boot off."
- Mater when he realized what he's done
From Cars 2
- "Mater -Tow Mater, that's who -is here to help you!"
- —His first line in the sequel.
- "Whatever you do, do not eat the free pistachio ice cream! It has turned! (the word "turned" echoed)"
- —Mater after he drank from the fountain to cool down his mouth from the wasabi.
- "Tow Mater, average intelligence."
- —Mater, introducing himself to Finn McMissile.
- "What's everybody on the wrong side of the road for?"
- —Mater driving in London.
- "Don't you remember? You was there too!"
- —Mater's famous line in Cars Toons.
|Mater and the Ghostlight|
|Cars: The Video Game|
|Cars: Radiator Springs Adventures|
|Cars: Mater-National Championship|
|Cars 2: The Video Game|