- "Headlights, monsieur, headlights?"
- —Celine Dephare, Cars 2
Celine Dephare is a French headlights vendor that runs a shop in the streets of Paris, France. Dephare has a distinct appearance due to having eyes where a typical car's headlights would be, rather than on her windshield.
In Cars 2, Dephare is parked at her shop in the Marché Aux Pièces with her eyes closed, when Tow Mater, Finn McMissile, and Holley Shiftwell pass by. Mater stops to inspect the shop, and questions the owner on what she is selling. Dephare opens and reveals her unusual eyes while explaining that she sells headlights, which startles Mater, and he quickly drives away from the shop and catches up to Shiftwell and McMissile.
Physical descriptionDephare has a red livery, though her body is relatively rusty. As a result of her unconventional eyes, she has no windshield, revealing her interior, which features real-world elements such as a rearview mirror, seats, dashboard, and a steering wheel. Her model appears to be derived from a hard-top Alfa Romeo Spider.
Celine's license plate reads "CUR 10 SIT3". "Curiosité" is the French word for "curiosity," a word that reflects Dephare's appearance.
- "Two for one! I give you good price!"
Names in other languages
|French||Celine Dephare||Celine of headlights|
|Polish||Celine Dephare||Celine Dephare|
- Dephare's character is a reference to how early concepts of Cars intended for vehicles' eyes to be on their headlights rather than their windshields, similar to other anthropomorphic vehicles, such as those featured in Chevron advertisements. The Pixar team, however, ultimately decided against this decision, instead choosing the windshield as the cars' eye locations.
- Celine is the first and only character in the Cars series to have eyes in place of her headlights.
- When translated into French, Celine's name means "Celine of headlights".